Sunday, September 12, 2010

Visit to Lake Nakuru National Park

Well as I finish off the day typing this before I head to bed while Swedish House Mafia is playing on iTunes I'll tell you about my visit to Lake Nakuru National Park.  Met my driver Noel this morning and his family who were tagging along at 8am.  It's about a two and a half hour drive from Nairobi to Nakuru on some dual carriageway and single lane decent roads then as we entered Nakuru town which had basically dirt tracks for roads before we reached the National Park.  Anyway entered the Park in the 4X4 and first kinds of animals we met were giselles and baboons. When we reached the baboon cliffs we shut all the windows (Sweet Disposition by Temper Trap is now on iTunes) as the baboons are inclined to go into the cars and rob whatever is in them. View from the cliffs looking over Lake Nakuru and Nakuru town were amazing.  Also saw Flamingoes,Rhinos,Zebras,Rhinos,Buffalo,Springbok,Giraffe (one of them was definitely eating grass spiked with  roids by the size and neck on him) and Osterich.  Was disappointed I didn't see the lions as they weren't visible today.  I'm sure a visit to Dublin zoo would sort that out but will hopefully see them when I hit the Masi Marra.  (San Diego by the Coronas now banging out of iTunes).  Anyway we stopped for lunch in the restaurant by the park and then went home.  On the roads I forgot to mention from Nakuru to Nairobi and most roads btw they are people selling anything imaginable from mobile phone credit,pots,pans,skinned rabbits,animal feed, fertiliser,bottles of coca cola etc.  Poverty on the outskirts is something else (Now on the iTunes jukebox Simple Man by Lynyrd Skynyrd) and within Nairobi also is frightening.  There's very rich and very poor no in between.
Also, was looking at getting the Super Sports package for the telly in the flat for the Premier League & Champions League but will have to look into it as I was quoted 6,000KES around €60 p.m as it only comes with the premium pack and I don't want all the African channels. Anyway I'll try and negotiate with the dealer.
Back to work in the morning.
I'm presently uploading the pictures to my facebook and will create a flickr account and post the link up on the blog.
In the words of Bas Rutten "God speak and party on"
Mise le meas
Stephen

1 comment:

  1. Good man Stephen, keep us up to date and best of luck with the adventure.

    ReplyDelete