Friday, September 10, 2010

First Friday done and cracked American Quickbooks Pro (We'll see)

Well first Friday finished.  Was supposed to be a bank holiday over here for the end of Ramadan but the government don't decide on bank holidays over here until the last minute and as Saturday is part of the working week (5.5 days btw) they decided to give it for tomorrow instead.
I'm finally getting my head around this American Quickbooks accounting software the lay out is simple to understand but trying to implement a specific template for the accounts was tricky.  Anyway finally cracked the template yesterday evening and the first two dummy runs went off without a hitch.  I'll just have to wait and see if it's up to consolidation as I don't fancy trying to get a system like Sage shipped over here especially as I'd be back to square one and that would take up more time training up the nuns and the locals how to us it. 
Went down to Nakumatt for the shopping in the Jeep (no the Matatu this time), one of the Ethiopian trainee nuns who is  living on the compound fell off one of the Matatus the other day as it pulled off as she was getting on and hit her head and is in a serious condition in hospital.
Got the shopping for the week. Washing powder and comfort softener are expensive (or is it that the mother does this at home and I'm oblivious to the price).  But back in the days of college I didn't remember paying the equivalent of nearly €8.50 for 10 liquid tabs. 
One thing that is cheap over here is mobile calls and texts. The equivalent of 1c per text and 3c per min for local calls. I'm ringing home on the mobile and if I dial 123 instead of 00 before the 353 Irish int code I get it for around 30c per min.
Going to find a pub tomorrow to watch the Premiership, I think there's one down in Karen that the Kenyan Cowboys (the British settlers) own that shows them so will head down there tomorrow.  Going to the National Park on Sunday for Safari (I've been told there's no giraffe's in this one) :( but hopefully I'll get to see them when I go to the Masi Mara.  
Off to the countryside to visit two sites called Kitui (4.5hrs drive from Nairobi) and Chepynal in Western Pokot (9.5hrs drive from Nairobi plus trek up the mountains).  I'll be staying a few days in Kitui first and then make the trek to Chepynal from their and will fly back to Nairobi from Kitui on the way back. 
It's only gone 6 here and is getting dark already will be fully dark by 7.  Going to sort out my Fantasy Premier League team now and watch some TV on the laptop.  Have kept up with my TV from home via downloads but it's back to retro style limewire/bittorrent downloads speeds from a nzb feed. So overnight downloads it is and no guarantees it'll be finished in the morning.  Patience is a virtue I suppose.  Getting the series 1-5 of the West Wing from the priests next store so that should keep me occupied for a while aswell.

Mise le meas

Stephen

1 comment: