Sunday, September 26, 2010

Back to Nairobi,dodgy Matatu's and ("I Will Survive" domestically !!)

Well lads,
 Friday morning the aul computer wasn't working so while waiting for it to be fixed I headed down with Sr. Peig down to the Junction shopping centre to stock up on the essentials in Nakumatt for the week.  Got myself a toaster as didn't have one in the flat.  Bought the most amazing coffee called Dormans which is the Kenyan version of Starbucks and they have coffee shops in most of the shopping centres. 
Anyway found a gym just up the road so went there after work that evening.  It has what I need bench, free weights, cross trainer, treadmill so it'll do. 
Got up the on Saturday morning and went for a run to Karen and back.  It's a straight enough run with a few inclines but watching your step and avoiding crazy people on the runs is more of a battle.  That evening I got the Matatu down to Karen to get my hair cut.  They don't do scissors cuts like back home so asked the chap Freddy for a 3 on top and 2 at the back and sides needless to say I have a head like a convict now but atleast it won't need to be done for a while.  Not a patch on Barbers Lane in Waterford though.  While I was in there the fella in front of me looked familiar and he was decked out in a three piece suit bowler hat and sunglasses and when his phone rang it was some song by Lil Wayne as his ringtone.  Any how it was some Kenyan rapper turned politician or something who was on the news the night before.  While I was down in Karen I went to the Rusty Nail to watch the Premiership. Saw the Man City Chelsea match and the Liverpool Sunderland match which I have to admit was painful to watch to see our great club in such a state.
Anyway when it was over at 6.50 here it was pitch black and about 5 mins walk to the Karen shopping centre to get a Matatu back (not the wisest of decisions as a mazungo) but sure what could happen in Nairobi aka Nairobbery at night.  Luckily made it down to Karen all right and luckily was on the Matatu next to a nun from up the road so was OK getting to my Kenol stop.  But before that when he left Karen the Matatu driver did a U turn the other way I said to him I was going the other way but he said not to worry as he was only going to the petrol station to fill up.
Lesson learned here is if I'm going again don't be fooled by the 20ksh price (accounting head here) take a taxi when it gets dark for safety. I'll ring Bernard next time. Plus Old El Paso Fajita kit is  a saviour for dinner and the extra virgin olive oil makes all the difference in the taste (getting kinda Jamie Oliver on my portable hot plate)
Today (Sunday) I completed another domestic achievement called ironing which I did 3 shirts,4 tshirts and the bed clothes with a few towels (if your supposed to iron them). Spent about 2.5hrs and I now know that faced with any challenge and out of necessity mammy's boys can accomplish any domestic feet to survive.   I have to say I feel proud doing it and shows I'm not totally incompetent. 
Still awaiting my TV shows from back home in the most (hopefully not robbed) and have sent off my next list for this week. 
Song of the Day http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBR2G-iI3-I

No comments:

Post a Comment